Friday, March 13, 2020

1999 and 2000 Oversized Cubs

Today I've got some inserts that I overlooked when putting my team sets together.  The Christmas package from reader Chad woke me up to these.

in both 1999 and 2000, Topps included oversized cards in hobby boxes.  There were eight cards in each series.


This is the card from Chad.  It is from series one of 2000, and is card #4.  These are identical to the base set, just bigger.  Both the Standard Catalog and Baseballcardpedia give the measurements of the card at 3½" x 5".  I believe that they are wrong.  All of my cards are 3¼" x 4 9/16".  I wonder if anyone actually measured them or if they just looked at the cards and assumed 3" x 5".

After getting the card from Chad and doing some research, I found that these were also made in 1999.  Two Cubs were on the series one checklist.

 

I keep finding these holes in my insert sets, so some day I'm going to have to go through the Tradingcard Database year by year and see if I'm missing anything else.

1 comment:

  1. Besides the 1999 Topps Oversize (that's the Kerry Wood #3 above), in 1999 there was a Super Chrome and Super Chrome Refractor. Wood has two cards in each, #5 and #33.

    ReplyDelete