Thursday, March 5, 2020

2020 Topps Series One - I fixed the design

With the Topps set I don't just settle for the Cubs cards.  I get the full set.  The 330 cards are safely tucked away in their 9-pocket sheets and I've had some time to look over the set.

Each year I make a label for the binder based on either the pack or factory box design.  This year I went with the pack design.


So what do I think about the look of the cards?

The design is fine, though nothing that gets me too excited.  I do have one gripe, though.  I do not like the names being perpendicular to the photo. It means you have to twist your head to read the card.

If Topps had just tweaked the basic template, I think they could have had a nice look that you could read.


I took this...


... and combined it with this...


to get, what in my humble opinion, is a much better looking, and readable, card.

What do you think?

5 comments:

  1. I agree with your design concept. Even just basic English-reading psychology tends the eye to read from left to right, up to down. Reading down to up is certainly doable, but does cause the brain to pause because we are taught in English to read the other direction. The design overall isn't bad, but when they do their color parallels, like the golds that have been put in the retail material, it's tough to see right away. And with the color wheel sure to come, those could be tougher to spot rather than the obvious border colors in years past.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's not bad - very clean looking. Though it's now basically 2018 all over again without the swooshes. Both empty sides threw me for a bit, but I still like it. Would you flip the horizontals too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn’t have horizontals...its all vertical for me!

      Delete
  3. Great job! Definitely an improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I disagree. I see the space to the right of Schwarber as wasted space and when the lettering is there, you can see his whole body including the shoes. In your picture, you cannot. No offense.

    ReplyDelete