Friday, March 6, 2020

Topps 2020 Series One - Stirrups!

When it comes to baseball uniforms, I like the tradition look.


This is what a baseball uniform should look like.


From the neck up, today's uniforms look very similar.


The big change is below the belt.  Today's pants go all the way down to the shoe and stirrups have, for the most part, disappeared.  I've never liked the look.


Showing some sock has made a comeback, but usually they are solid socks. While its better, its not stirrups.  To my eyes it looks odd to not see some white sticking out.

So it was a pleasant surprise that I found several players with stirrups shown in the 2020 Topps series one set.

 



A couple were from when a team was wearing throwback uniforms.

    

 


But the rest are from regular uniforms.  Its been years since I've seen this many stirrups in a Topps set.  I hope the trend continues.

4 comments:

  1. I remember thinking it was so cool going out and buying the belt and matching colored stirrups in preparation for the upcoming Little League season. They are such a big part of baseball, it's good to see them coming back.

    Although... the whole stirrups built into the sock thing is just weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also have missed the stirrups and have never liked the whole pants over the shoe look. I also agree with Fuji's comment about the "built in" stirrups look. Another thing I don't like about modern uniforms is the jerseys that look like they are t-shirts.

    Plus many of today's "cleats" look like light weight adidas or nike shoes. Hard to tell if the shoe even has any spikes let alone any tread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you read Uni Watch? The folks there would say you Get It (TM)!

    ReplyDelete