Tuesday, March 17, 2020

The 1911 T205 Cubs

I've been on a buying spree recently, picking up some older cards.  It's been fun getting the Bowman Cubs from 1949 - 1953 and the 1954 Red Heart Cubs. 

I've been looking back even further to see what else I can add to my collection.  There is a hurdle, however.... the cost.  While the Bowmans and Red Hearts didn't break the bank, they weren't 18¢ Sportlots commons either.  Going further back will break the bank.

My solution is reprints.  There are decent reprint sets of many of the old, old sets.  I already have reprints of the T206, Goudey, and Play Ball sets, among others.  I went on an Ebay hunt to find other vintage reprints.  I found a seller that had Cub sets of four sets and I've picked them up.  Today I'm featuring the 1911 T205 set.

The T205 set is also known as the Gold Border set, for obvious reasons.  The cards feature players from the American League, National League, and minor leagues.  The design varies depending on the league, but all the cards feature a gold border.  The backs include a logo from one of eleven different tobacco brands.

The Cubs were the league powerhouse at the time the cards were issued, having won the pennant four out of the last five seasons.  That accounts for the high number of Cubs in the set, 19.  Only the 20 Giants ranks higher.

 
 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. There are times I wished the Angels went further back than 1961 (although the PCL Angels do) for those great old cards, but yeah, it'd be way to costly to pick those up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same for me as a Mets fan. It would be fun to have older Mets cards, but I know I couldn't afford them. At least I've got the old Giants and Dodgers cards to chase at times.

      Delete
  2. I have a couple of these, but after seeing the full set I'd like to find the others. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete