Thursday, November 11, 2021

60

 The Cubs have had a total of six players wear uniform #60, include pitcher Jason Adam, who wore it this past season.  None of the six were very good.







We have Jason Adam, Mitch Atkins, Chris Carpenter (not the good one who was with the Cardinals), Manny Corpas, Cory Mazzoni, and Felix Pena.

They pitched in a combined 134 games for the Cubs.  While they posted a winning record of 5-3, their ERA was 4.54, and their WHIP was 1.44. 

None lasted longer than two seasons with the Cubs.  I don't have a single card of any of the six because none have a card that shows them with the Cubs.

So why am I bothering to write about a bunch of non-descript players that wore #60?


Because today yours truly hits the big 6-0.

60 used to seem really old.  Now it doesn't!  Now its just a number.

I'm hoping that 60 turns out better for me than it did for Adam, Atkins, etc.

It will be a very interesting year for me.  Besides hitting a big round number, I'll be retiring at the end of the school year.  I'm in my 39th year as an educator.  I've been a principal for 27 of those.  It's been a nice ride, but I'm getting worn out as the guy in charge.  The strains of the past two covid years haven't helped matters either.

I'm looking forward to being in charge of nothing other than some pieces of 2½" x 3½" cardboard.

5 comments: