Wednesday, January 17, 2024

A Few Thoughts on Topps 2024

  

Both the design and checklist for 2024 Topps series one came out last week.  Here are a few of my thoughts:

The Design:

  • I kinda like the design.  The theme is neon and Topps used in a few places.  That's fine with me.  
  • You can easily read the big three on a card for me, name, team, and position.
  • I've read some criticism of the black border on top.  But it is necessary to make the neon readable.  Neon doesn't show up well against light colors.  Real neon lights look very cool at night but you can hardly tell it is even on in the daytime.
  • Card designs take some time to get used to.  In 1972, ten-year-old me was repulsed by the card design, a look that was waaay outside the usual for Topps.  Now those cards are among my favorite. 
  • I haven't seen any mockups of Cubs cards, but my guess is that the color scheme will be similar to the Rangers card, with blue and red being used.
  • I don't think it will be too difficult to create homemade versions of this design
The Checklist
  • There are 14 base Cubs cards: 128 Christopher Morel – Future Stars; 129 Adbert Alzolay; 151 Seiya Suzuki; 164 Dansby Swanson; 165 Chicago Cubs – Team Card; 178 Daniel Palencia RC; 182 Jameson Taillon; 204 Nico Hoerner; 212 Justin Steele / Blake Snell / Kodai Senga – League Leaders; 309 Justin Steele / Zac Gallen / Spencer Strider – League Leaders; 318 Justin Steele; 319 Miguel Amaya; 328 Patrick Wisdom; 337 Hayden Wesneski
  • All of the players in series one are still on the Cubs 40-man roster.  
  • There are three instances that have Cubs with consecutive numbers, 128-129, 164-165, 318-319.  That is very unusual.  In the old days, it never happened.
  • Insert sets with Cubs cards include 1989 Baseball, 1989 Chrome Silver Packs, 2023 Greatest Hits, Grand Gamers, Heavy Lumber, and Stars of MLB
  • The one Cubs in Stars of MLB is Pete Crow-Armstrong.  He has played in just 13 games and has a life-time average of .000.  Is he really a Star of MLB??
The set should be out around Valentines Day.  Will you be buying candy for your sweetheart or baseball cards?

2 comments:

  1. I like 'em AND I'll get a retail boz, cillect my Tigers players, as I've done since the late 1960s.
    '72 is a cool set.

    Guess Bellinger wil be in Series 2

    Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to picture the inverse color scheme of the Rangers. Is neon blue a thing? I'm curious to see a Cubs card and how this plays out. I wonder if the Blue Jays will also look like the Rangers?

    ReplyDelete