Saturday, July 27, 2024

Eighties Alphabetically - Galasso Glossy Greats

 


Anyone who collected cards in the late 70's and 80's would recognize the name Renata Galasso. Though not the first mail order card set seller, she was one of the more prolific advertisers of her era. Her advertising worked on me. The very first Topps complete set I bought, back in 1978, was from Renata Galasso.

The set also came with a bonus; 45 black and white cards of former players. The set was called Galasso Glossy Greats. When I got my set, I remember being ambivalent about these black and white cards, especially since I had 726 full color cards in the same box. I know exactly where my Topps '78 set is; but the Glossy Greats were lost. Actually, they were probably tossed.

The set was produced from 1977 - 1984. There were 45 cards per release, and over that span, six different sets were issued, making for a total of 270 cards. There were 17 different Cubs cards, but since this is Eighties Alphabetically, I will only show the eight Cubs from 1980 - 1984.










3 comments:

  1. My brother also ordered the '78 Topps complete set in 1978 and the Galasso cards came with it. We loved the Galasso cards (we loved all cards) and those first 45 are still my favorites out of any others in the set.

    The difference in font sizes is too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seeing sets like these make me long for a modern day set featuring players of yesteryear. I haven't bought a pack of cards in over three years, but I would definitely go all in on a set similar to the Galasso cards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They certainly don't make cards like this anymore.

    ReplyDelete