Tuesday, January 3, 2012

State of the Collection: Looking Ahead

Yesterday I reviewed my goals from 2011. Today, I set the goals for 2012.

Goal #1: Keep up with the new releases. Topps cranks 'em out, I scoop 'em up. That's just the way it is. Warts and all, Topps is baseball cards. I'll continue to add all of my usual suspects. I'll wait and see on any of the new lines, though Fan Favorites is coming back and I do plan to add those to the collection.

Goal #2: Ease off on the parallels and inserts. I tried in 2011, but when the Platinum diamonds came out, I fell off the wagon. This year I'm going to stay sober....for the most part. I plan to get any insert Cub cards, but no more relics, autographs, fake patches, and parallel sets.

Goal #3: Finish the Cubs team-issued set from 2002. I have three cards left and for over a month, not one has seen the light of day. I will continue to hunt them down!

Goal #4: Add more autographs I picked up several last year and plan to keep that up this year. Instead of adding the entire autograph set from Topps flagship, I plan to only pick up cards of players that I have no autograph of. That way I don't end up with four Tyler Colvin autos. One should have been plenty!

Goal #5: More Oddball team sets Every day I do a search on ebay for "Cubs Team set" and I've found some interesting items. My oddball binder is bursting and I will probably need to start a second binder this year. I hope to fill it!

Goal #6: Keep adding to the player collections of Ernie Banks, Billy Williams, Ryne Sandberg, Andre Dawson, and Darwin Barney.
I stumbled into the player collection arena last year and started to put together a decent assortment of cards. My Barney collection is off to a nice start, so I'm curious to see how it will play out....and how he will play out.

Goal #7: Continue sharing, daily. After three years I've settled into a decent routine for blogging and see no reason to slow down.

Check back in 365 days to see how I did.

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad I'm not the only person who has a daily ebay search routine. :)
    Good luck on your goals this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm wondering if I can help you with #6 - Maybe I have some Dawson cards that you need. Do you have either a have/need list???

    ReplyDelete