Friday, April 4, 2014

Wall of Wax Grows By One

I kinda forgot about this, but I have updated my wall of wax with a pack from Topps 2014.

It took a bit longer because the Walmart in town didn't have wax packs.  They had those rack packs and blasters, but no individual wax packs.  Mrs. WW had to go to Kalamazoo for a meeting so I asked her to stop at Target or Walmart and grab me some cards.  She saw it as a good excuse to hit Target, so I got my cards and she got a bunch of other stuff.  Win, win!


My wax collection now spans from 1969 though 2014.  This coincides with the years of my complete sets.  The top shelf has 1969 - 1984, in the middle are packs from 1985 - 2000, and the bottom has 2001 - 2014.  I've still got room on two more years worth on the bottom before I have to add another shelf.

By that time the 2016 packs will feature a picture of Javier Baez, rising superstar and MVP of the 2015 World Champion Chicago Cubs.

10 comments:

  1. That's a great idea. If I can find some wall space in my office, I might need to try it out myself. Luckily for me, I started collecting back in 1981... so my wall would be a little more affordable (although not nearly as cool).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went the budget route on the '70s packs...they are repacks. I bought just the wrappers and then filled them with cards from that year that I had laying around. Much cheaper than buying a pack...and I have no plans to sell them as real packs.

      Delete
    2. That was smart. Maybe I'll go all out and collect from my birth year to present. Although... those early 70's wrapper still sell for a pretty penny.

      Delete
  2. Very cool. What's all on the bottom shelf? I see some T206.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. L to R...Topps Vault original of Ken Rudolph's 1973 card, T206 of Tinker, Evers, and Chance, modern T206 relics of Tinker and Evers, blank back Barney, OYO Barney, Transogram Billy Williams, Billy Williams Day pin

      Delete
  3. Awesome! Where did you get the shelves, I’m looking to do the same sort of setup? Please don’t say you made them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, but I did make them.....though it was very easy:
      http://wrigleywax.blogspot.com/2009/11/waxs-packs-at-world-headquarters.html

      Delete
  4. You were closer on your prediction then you imagined, I'm thinking. No MVP chance for Baez, but getting to the NLCS was closer to the prediction than anyone would have thought!

    ReplyDelete