Monday, April 28, 2014

Wrigley Wax on WGN

As part of the celebration of Wrigley Field's 100th birthday, WGN put together a two hour special titled Wrigley 100 - A Century Celebration.  It aired last week on WGN Chicago, but I didn't get to see it since here in SW Michigan we get WGN America on cable.  I was bummed.

But on Saturday, the special ran on WGN America and I made sure to watch.

Here's the first minute and a half of the show.



It was a really well done special and the two hours went by very quickly.  They highlighted pretty much anything that you can think of regarding Wrigley...the ballpark's construction and changes over the years. the great players, great non-baseball events, and great games.  I'm not sure if WGN is planning on running it again.  Hopefully they will because if you missed it, you should see it.

I'd also like to have it run again so that I can record the show.  I'd like to keep a copy of it because Wrigley Wax made a brief appearance in the show.  It was, however, done without the express written consent of Wrigley Wax, which means it should have been prohibited.

Let me explain the appearance...The special was talking about the wind at Wrigley and how if might affect the Cubs' opponents.  They were interviewing Tony LaRussa and mentioned that he also played for the Cubs.  Then they showed this...


....this Topps 1973 card of Tony LaRussa as a Cub.

Except that is not a real Topps card.  It is a creation of mine.  I made it back in 2009 and wrote about it here.  It's been borrowed by a couple websites since then.  In fact, if you do a Google image search for Tony LaRussa Cubs the card shows up a few time, and oddly, not one is my site.

Somehow the producers of the special found the card and used it.  It was on the screen for only a second or two, but it was on.  The corporate law staff of Wrigley Wax has already initiated legal proceedings against WGN and I'm planning to retire when the residual checks start rolling into the WW World Headquarters.

I should also point out that two of the games mentioned in the special for great moments or games at Wrigley are games that I attended.  There was a brief shot of Pete Rose's 4190th hit and you can read more about my day at the game here.  The 1979 23-22 slugfest was also talked about for a couple minutes, and I wrote about that day here.

9 comments:

  1. So, after you sue them to take ownership of the Cubs, what will be your first order or business?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's both cool and not cool. Not that I'm so vain that I think anybody would want my customs, but that's one of the reasons I throw a Once a Cub watermark on them.

    I picked a couple of those George Brace photos when I started doing my ATCRCS cards but the family seems to have sold the rights. I've emailed a few times when looking for a player since, but never heard back. Too bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those George Brace photos are great....I was bummed when I saw that the family website was gone.

      Delete
  3. I agree with Once a Cub, that's both cool and not cool.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think WGN owes you. I know you're a happily married man but how bout a nice dinner served to you by Jackie Bang and Erin McElroy. Wait, you're not in Chicago. Do you know who I'm talking about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know who Erin is, but I do remember Jackie and her most interesting last name.

      Delete
    2. Check out Jackie Bange and Robert Jordan:
      http://youtu.be/S7ehlw_phys

      Delete
  5. Just don't settle for free lifetime mocha cappucinos.

    That would be outrageous, egregious, preposterous!

    ReplyDelete