Monday, July 28, 2014

Allen and Ginter 2014 - The Complete Set

Along with the flagship brand, the only other complete set I buy each year is Allen and Ginter.  I've had my set for a few days now and it has been safely added to the sheets and binder.

Here are a few random thoughts of my on the 2014 version:

  • As usual, the team with the most cards would be the Yankees, who netted 24 players.  For you math majors, that is 6.8% of the set for a team that makes up 3.3% of the league.
  • On the flip side, the team that was on the short end of the stick was the Twins, with only three cards.
  • Because many of the shots are posed, Ginter usually offers a good look at the players' tattoos.  Here are a few I picked out

Topps keeps putting horizontal cards into Ginter and they continue to look out of place


This card of Sandy Koufax would be nice looking in other sets, but notice how the card has a non-Ginter look to it.  On all of the vertical cards, there is a lightly colored cloud surrounding the person's head.  On the horizontal card, there is no cloud.  The actual backround is used instead.  It just doesn't look right.

  • The set has its usual eclectic collection of "champions."

I don't think Judah Friedlander would have a chance to show up in any other sports related set.  He doesn't seem like much of an athlete but I did enjoy him on 30 Rock.


Is this what you think of when you hear "Gilligan"?  I don't.

If Topps was going to make a Gilligan card, doesn't it have to look...


...like this??

2 comments:

  1. I like your Gilligan card a lot better than the one Topps made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that Friedlander card. BTW, I heard about Darwin Barney becoming a Dodger. Sorry to hear that.

    ReplyDelete