Monday, June 12, 2023

The Mimicked Heritage Images

 The best thing for me with this year's Heritage is their making cards that mimic the pictures from the 1974 set.  

 

This is one of the nicest examples.  Both the picture and the card number (#215) match.  Well done!

Unfortunately, I don't think Topps did a very good job with the Cubs.  There are, I believe, two instances of mimicking.

This is the first.  Both Williams and Morel have card #110.  But Morel is a right-handed hitter while Billy was a lefty.  The mirror image thing doesn't work for me.  


Topps should have used a lefty for this.  I chose Ian Happ, who is actually a switch-hitter, but I was able to find something close when he was hitting for the left side.

This is the other example.  The cards don't share the same number because the Pappas card is #640 and Heritage doesn't go that high.  The Estrada card doesn't work for me because it is from a night game.  You lose the crowd, which is a major part of the Pappas card.

I went with the daytime picture of Marcus Stroman, instead.  FYI, the bullpens in the Pappas card were moved to under the bleachers a few years ago and extra seats were added to that area, along with the tarp.  Also, I just noticed this after 49 years - Topps used a picture that was at least two years old.  Pappas is wearing a buttoned uniform front, which was last worn by the Cubs in 1971.

There is another action card from the 1974 Cubs set that Topps could have used.  Maybe they are saving it for the high series.


I made the Heritage version for Kyle Hendricks, since Topps left him out of the set.  I think he deserves a card.

There is one other card that Topps should have made, though it isn't an action card.

Jerry Morales was traded to the Cubs over the winter of 73-74.  Topps switched his team to the Cubs, but left him in a Padres uniform.  That would have been a cool thing for Heritage, taking one of the Cubs' winter pickups and showing him in his old uniform.  Instead, they Photoshopped all of them into a Cubs uniform.


This would have been awesome, and an appropriate nod to one of the quirks of the original 1974 set.

1 comment: