Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Adding To My Collection, Finding a Mistake

Its been a lot of fun over the past several weeks as I have been getting packages with the new Cubs sets I have been working on. I've had lots of reading to do, looking over all the new cards.

Here are a few from Upper Deck Collectors Choice, 1997.

A nice close up of Mark Grace



Ryno signing some autographs - classy as always



Steve Trachsel letting go of a pitch.



But as I was reading the back of Trachsel's card, there was this "Did You Know" fact.



Unfortunately Stumpy doesn't know, because this fact is wrong.
Can you tell me what the mistake is?

3 comments:

  1. Weeghman Park opened in 1914. I always loved those CC cards. They were right in my wheelhouse when I was 12-15 years old.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe Wrigley Field was named "Wrigley Field" in 1926; prior to that it was Weegham Park (dating back to 1912) and renamed Cubs Park in 1920. I think . . . if my history is correct. Good catch !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greg's got it. Wrigley Field was built in 1914 for the Chicago Whales of the Federal League. It was named Weeghman Park, after the owner of the Whales. When the Federal League folded after the 1915 season, Weeghman bought the Cubs and moved them to his park for the 1916 season.

    ReplyDelete