Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Topps 2009 Cubs Have Arrived!

I've been reading all of the posts as many of you got your hands on your first 2009 Topps cards. I knew if I would just be patient, my time would come. Well, in today's mail, it came.

I have in my hot little hands the ten Topps 2009 Cubs cards from Series One. Now I am ready for spring training to begin!

Ten cards is one less than last year's Cubs set of eleven. I can live with that. I like the style of the card. The blue border around the picture matches very nicely with the blue on the Cubs uniform. I like the back, too, with most of the printing on a white background. It is very easy to read.

Here are the ten cards, listed like I keep them in my binders, in alphabetical order.

Neal Cotts - our mediocre lefty out of the bullpen



Mark DeRosa - no longer with the Cubs; I think his versatility will be missed. I liked the guy.



Kosuke Fukudome - I hope he had his sophomore jinks during the second half of the season last year. Otherwise, he is a very expensive platoon player.



Rich Harden - keeping my fingers crossed he stays healthy (we have been down this road before with Wood and Prior)



Reed Johnson - will be trying to find time in a very crowded outfield



Derrek Lee - his power has been way down since he broke his wrist in '06. I'm hoping he reverts to the old Derrek Lee instead of last year's DP Lee.



Jeff Spellcheck - could be the 8th inning guy, could be a starter. Has lots of potential (and I hope the Cubs don't screw him up - ie Wood, Prior)



Geovany Soto - with a regular card and a rookie of the year card. Geo had a great rookie year, and has Cubs fans thinking we have the catcher we need for many years to come.






Carlos Zambrano - It's interesting that they show him hitting, which is ok since he does swing a decent bat.

2 comments: