Monday, October 26, 2020

A New Darwin Barney Card

 

I picked up this card recently for the Darwin Barney collection.  I've seen it for a while but thought it was over-priced.  Two weeks ago the seller listed in with a best offer.  I offered him two bucks and he accepted

The card is 3" x 5" and printed on photo paper.  The card origin is a bit of a mystery.  The back is blank, giving no clues.  The seller said it was from a set sold at Wrigley Field.  Based on some of the other similar cards I found, it is from either 2013 or 2014.  

There is nothing in the media guilde about these and nothing in the Trading Card Database, either.  Anyone got any info on this set?

3 comments:

  1. My son has one of these of Anthony Rizzo. It was sent to him when we sent to the Cubs asking for team fan pack. Sent with the usual mix of logo stickers and schedules. So this may have been a Cubs created/issued release for promotional purposes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes a lot of sense... the fan packs. It would also explain why there aren't many of them out there, if they weren't sold at Wrigley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Almost a month late on this, but these were sold at Wrigley because I remember seeing a few at the souvenir stands on the concourse. I only recall because I passed on buying them because I was a broke, recent college grad at the time and it was a miracle I could afford to go to a game at all. As a lover of oddball cards, it's seared into my memory as a collecting regret.

    As I recall, it was a small set - sold in cello packs - and Jeff Samardzija was the front card. So, that 2013-14 timeline lines up pretty well. However, that's all the info I have to offer.

    ReplyDelete