Tuesday, September 7, 2021

1939 Cubs Scorecard

 My Cubs scorecard collection runs from 1948 through this year.  Those are the years that the Cubs sold a four page scorecard.  From 1940 though 1947 the scorecard was in the middle of a 12-16 page program.  I've got one of each of those too.

So now its time to start working further back. In the 20's and 30's the Cubs sold a four page scorecard though it's dimensions were smaller than the four-pagers from the late 40's and beyond.

I'm going to go very slowly with these.  They can get pricey and I'm not interested in paying big bucks.  My plan is to wait for cards to be sold in auctions or get listed with a Buy It Now price in my range.

The first card I picked up was from 1939.  It was via auction and the price I paid was much less than the current BIN listings.


Otis Shepard was in charge of all the Cubs graphics at the time, so the cover would have been designed by him.  Notice the extra writing the original owner added.  And how about that --- the Cubs won.  The date of the game was June 30.


No Old Style in 1939.  It was PBR.


The owner diligently kept score of the game and even noted the umpires.  Attendance for the game was 12,351.  I wonder how many of those 12,000 bought a scorecard?  I wonder how many of those, besides this one, 82 years later?


2 comments:

  1. Very cool item. Kinda cool that they tried to predict the lineup by preprinting names into the scorecard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is fabulous. The cub drawing on the front alone makes it memorable. As a radio buff seeing "720 kilocycles" is jarring, but I suppose there was no need to say "720 AM" when FM didn't exist yet! (Actually, the first FM broadcasts meant for the public took place the following month!)

    ReplyDelete