Thursday, May 2, 2024

A Fuzzy New 1987 Classic Card

 

This was one of the '80s cards in Saturday's post.

A commenter said, "Having attended that Dawson game I can honestly say that this is one of my 2 or 3 favorite cards of all time. I just wish there was a card of Sutcliffe on the mound beating on Eric Show!"

I knew I had to make the card as soon as I read the comment.  Unfortunately I couldn't find any decent pictures anywhere online.  The best I could do was to use a screen capture off of a fuzzy video.

So here we go, with a new but fuzzy 1987 Classic Rick Sutcliffe card.

One other fun fact about that game... Dawson was hit in the third inning and the Cubs had a 5-2 lead going into the fourth.  The Cubs starter was a 20-year -old rookie who was struggling with a 5-7 record and an ERA of 4.44.  He was in line to get the win if he could get through the next two innings, a win he certainly could have used.  But the rookie was a team player who wanted to defend his teammate.  After striking out the first two Padres in the fourth, he plunked Beninto Santiago and was automatically ejected.  He could not get the win but he got the respect of his team.

The rookie.... Greg Maddux

3 comments:

  1. That game cemented my fandom for The Red Baron. Thanks for making it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm just seeing this now! Thank you for making this. I've been to two of the most legendary regular season Cubs games: Dawson v Show and the Kerry Wood game (26 years ago today!). What still stands out to me from the Dawson game was thinking, "Sandberg and Dunston are hurt and our middle infield is Mike Brumley and Paul Noce? Ugh, this is going to be a boring game!!" Instead of was beyond legendary! Gotta love Cubs baseball!!!

    ReplyDelete