Monday, February 21, 2022

1938 Cubs Scorecard

 About the same time I picked up my oldest scorecard to day, the 1932 card, I also found one from 1938.


Blue Valley Butter is still the sponsor.  I wonder why a butter company chose to advertise at Wrigley Field?  Ballpark attendance at this time was predominately male while the purchasers of butter were predominately female.  It must have worked, though, since they were on the front of the scorecard for eight seasons.


Time has again taken a toll on the color of the card, so I did some photoshop restoration.


This is more like it... beer, not butter, was on the back of the scorecard.  Who knew that Pabst was already 94 years old in 1938?



The card was scored and dated - July 23, 1938.  This is game two of a Saturday doubleheader.  The Cubs beat the Giants 3-1 as Dizzy Dean gave up just five hits and one run over nine innings.  The Cubs swept the twin bill, gaining two games on the second place Giants.  The attendance for the day was 43,223, the Cubs biggest crowd of the season.  The park was packed to the gills as there were 39,396 seats available.  I have no idea where they put 5,000 standees.

1 comment: