Wednesday, February 16, 2022

...To Chance!

 Here's one I've been after for a while.


This is a relic card of the first baseman and manager of the two-time world champ Cubs.  It completes a set for me.

  

I've had relic cards of Tinker and Ever for years.  I couldn't find a Chance card when I picked these up.  I was pretty sure that there wasn't one made for him or if there was, it was outrageously expensive.  I had given up on the idea of completing are relic run for the famed double-play trio.

I recent browsing trip at Ebay led me to the card above.  It's from Panini's 2018 National Treasures.  It wasn't ridiculously priced, especially for a relic from a HOFer that played over 110 years ago.  I've won it in an auction and now have the relic run completed.

Baseball's Sad Lexicon
by Franklin Pierce Adams

These are the saddest of possible words: 


to 

 

to


Trio of bear cubs, and fleeter than birds, 
Tinker and Evers and Chance. 
Ruthlessly pricking our gonfalon bubble, 
Making a Giant hit into a double – 
Words that are heavy with nothing but trouble: 
"Tinker to Evers to Chance."

3 comments: