Thursday, February 24, 2022

Topps 2022 Series One Cubs

 My Topps 2022 cards are starting to show up.  This is the first time in years that my Topps cards aren't arriving from Brentandbecca.  I had to go and do all the shopping myself.  I picked up the base cards from Sportlots.  Four of the five were 18¢.  Patrick Wisdom's rookie card was a buck.  Not having many Cubs to get was a real break for my wallet, but I'd rather spend more money if that meant more cards.

 

 


I have no problems with the 2022 design.  It's not crazy flashy nor is it super-boring.  I think it's a straight-down-the-middle flagship design.

What I don't like is that three of the five cards show the player in the MLB-contrived City Connect uniform.  I think that the mono-blue look is really ugly, especially when compared to the classic home pinstripes.

Also missing from the set is a Cubs rookie card.  It makes me happy that, at least in series one, a card wasn't wasted on a player that may never step foot on Wrigley Field this year.  Has the curse of Robel Garcia and Braylin Marquez been broken?


4 comments:

  1. I like the look of the border this year. But not a lot to get excited about as a collector.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would you have rather spent less money for the 5 known Cubs, or more money for Cubs that very likely wouldn't be on the team?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like to spend more money on some of the lesser-known but likely to be on the team Cubs.... Alzolay, Mills, Bote, Hoerner, Schwindel

    ReplyDelete