Friday, February 11, 2022

Almost All of the Rest of the 1950 Callahan Cubs

 One of the best of the goodies I got from reader Chad was this ...


...card of Joe Tinker from the 1950 Callahan set.  It was a set I was unfamiliar with so I did some research.

The maker of the set is B.E. Callahan of Chicago.  The set was initially released in 1950 and consists of Hall of Fame players.  Sold as a boxed set, it was available at the Hall of Fame and a few ballparks.   From 1951 through 1956 the set was updated as additional players were inducted into Cooperstown.  It ended up with at total of 82 players.

There are eight cards in the set considered to be Cubs cards.  In addition to the Tinker, six of the remaining seven are below.

 

 

 

The card I'm missing belongs to Gabby Hartnett.  He was elected into the Hall of Fame in 1955, so his card would be in one of the later sets.  Unfortunately for me, those later sets are not as plentiful as the earlier ones, which makes the Hartnett cards both scarce and expensive.  Right now just one is listed on Ebay.  It is a PSA 6.5 with a Buy-it-Now price of $415.  That is one BIN that I will not be hitting.

No comments:

Post a Comment