Wednesday, February 23, 2022

What Makes an O-Pee-Chee Team Set?

Language and logos weren't the only difference between Topps and O-Pee-Chee.  Apparently OPC had a print deadline later than Topps.  Several of the OPC sets have updated cards for players that were traded in the offseason.

 

These two were traded for one another on February 12, 1977.  The deal was made well past the Topps deadline and their set shows Madlock with the Cubs and Murcer as a Giant.  But OPC was able to make the switch.

Later years saw OPC replace the air-brush with some typing.



And that leads to my question... What makes a complete OPC team set.  Do I go with the team designation on the card or the "Now with"?

The TCDB goes with the "Now with".

Teamsets4u used the team designation on the card.

Is the Kilgus card a Cubs card or Blue Jays?  Does Clark go with the Indians or the Cubs?

Personally, I'm leaning towards including both in my Cubs set.  They both say Cubs on them.

Your thoughts?

4 comments:

  1. If it shows a player in my team's uniform, or has a note saying the player is now with my team, or traded to my team, I want those cards as part of my team collection. So I would say to include them both.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I include both. Same issue with '81 Donruss (Bruce Sutter, etc.) or 1976 SSPC.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I was a team set collector, I'd try and chase down both.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I addressed this on the blog a long time ago: both.

    ReplyDelete