Thursday, February 10, 2022

1985 Topps 3-D Cubs

 A few weeks ago I saw a post where a collector was working on getting all the different Topps 3-D cards.  That intrigued me.  

I know all about the Kelloggs 3-D cards.  In fact, I have all of the Cubs cards.  I was also aware of the 1968 Topps 3-D test set, which contains no Cubs.  But I had no idea that there were other Topps 3-D sets.

It turns out that Topps put out sets called 3-D Baseball Stars in 1985 and 1986.  Each set consists of 30 cards. There are two Cubs in the '85 set but none in the 1986.

I assumed the cards were the Kelloggs lenticular 3-D type.  But boy was I wrong.  I bought both Cubs cards and was very surprised when I open the packages.



The cards are printed on formed plastic sheets. They are 3-D because the body of player is coming out of the card.  it's hard to see the effect on the front side.


This scan of the back gives you a better idea.  You can see how the body comes out at you for the 3-D effect.  The cards are also larger than a traditional card as they measure 4¼" x 6".

They are also a bit more difficult for me to store.  I can't put them into any pocket page because that would cause them to flatten out.


This is what I came up with.  I used a full-sized page sleeve. Into it a slid a piece of paper with some foam strips attached.  The strips are thicker than the raised part of the card, so the card won't get smashed.

3 comments:

  1. I have either the 1985 or 1986 set... and the one thing I remember about these is that it's a pain in the but to store. Since each player has a different shape, they don't stack very nicely. That being said... they're interesting and out of the ordinary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I store these in two pockets. I keep them as the first thing in the binder and have not had any issues with them flattening out in the last ten or so years I have had them in there. But definitely odd to store and display.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are unique but the storing issue is why I never bought them.
    Might be better off getting those encased.

    ReplyDelete