Tuesday, March 14, 2023

I Actually Bought Something!

 Mrs. WW and I took a trip about an hour southeast of us to Fort Wayne.  Out destination was the Fort Wayne Card Show, at the Allen County Fairgrounds.  We also had plans to meet for lunch with friends in Fort Wayne (that is the real reason for Mrs. WW coming with).

This was the fourth time I've been to a show since I returned to collecting.  I bought one whole card at the other three.  My problem is the narrow focus of my collection.  I'm looking for vintage oddball stuff and you just don't see that at the shows I go to.  I did have my wanted list with but found nothing at all on it.   I'd probably have to go to the National Show to knock things off of my list. One of the vendors said he had some 1971 OPC and told me were to look.  Mrs. WW and I spent some time going through his stuff, but found only Topps 1971.

But, as you can see from the title, I did actually buy something.  In fact, I bought two cards!

 

These are for my regular autograph collection.  Both Smith and Williams were big parts of the 1989 Boys of Zimmer team that won the NL East. I have autographs of all of the major players from the 1969 and 1984 teams, so why not the '89 team as well.  All I need now to complete that team are Vance Law and Damon Berryhill.

The autographs aren't certified, but at just $5 each, it was worth the risk.  Are there really counterfeiters cranking out fake Dwight Smith and Mitch Williams autographs?  I doubt it.

After the show we had a nice lunch with our friends, so it was an all-around good day.

1 comment:

  1. Vance Law is a very gracious TTM signer...with a very nice autograph

    ReplyDelete