Monday, April 3, 2023

My First TTM Return!

My first TTM return arrived on Saturday!

A week ago today I sent out two TTM autograph requests.  One was to Eric Karros, as I needed his autograph for my 2003 team project.  

The other was sent out to a lesser-know Cub from the 1969 team, utility infielder Paul Popovich.  Why, you may ask, him?

A couple of reasons.

First, in preparation for sending out TTMs, I joined Sportscollectors.net.  The site has a pretty extensive address list.  They also have members track their TTM requests, so you can see which players are signing.  I browsed through random Cub players and saw that Popovich was an excellent signer, returning cards pretty quickly.

My second reason is his name.  I'm Paul.  He is Paul.  He was one of the 8-year-old version of this Paul's favorite players because he was also Paul.  In my letter that accompanied the card, I asked that he personalize the card by adding "To Paul."

This is the envelope that came on Saturday.  And who was it from?

From Paul to Paul!  Doesn't that look great!!

I'm curious how others of you send out your cards.  I browsed around to look for advice and you can see what I came up with.  

I used some photograph corners to attach the card to a heavy piece of cardboard.  I taped a piece of cardstock paper to the top to fold over for a cover.  Then the card, self-addressed stamped envelope, and letter go into a business-sized envelope and get sent off.  What I like about doing it this way is that it is very easy for the player.  He doesn't have to mess with a top loader and penny sleeve.  He just opened the fold-over, signs, and sticks it into the envelope.

I plan on doing some more TTMs.  I don't expect to get returns this quickly, but this was sure a great way to get started.

6 comments:

  1. Here is a post I did a few years ago on how I sent out TTMs: https://thelostcollector.blogspot.com/2018/01/sending-ttm-autograph-request.html

    I like your idea of the photograph corners.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the TTM! So how are you gonna free Paul from the makeshift card holder?

    These TTMs could vastly increase your Cubs autograph / relic project too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've had 5 successful TTM successes, but I've never thought of doing it this way. I might, as Craig Anderson creased a cars that I took out of my binder to replace the creased one I wanted to send lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Former Cubs pitcher Milt Wilcox always liked his 1976 SSPC card out of all his Cubs cards that he was on

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats. I did TTMs and in-persons for years, not much anymore. SCN was vital for TTMs IMO. I like your method using the photo corners to protect the card and autograph. I always just wrapped them in the letter and surrounded that with the folded return envelope. Worked out well, but got a smudge from time to time. I'll have to see if I have any Cubs autos in my traders for you.

    ReplyDelete