Thursday, April 6, 2023

One Card Leads to Another - 2001 Archives Cubs

You know how it goes, one card leads to another, and another, and a whole bunch more.

When Joe Pepitone died a few weeks back I took a look at the TCBD for any cards that show him as a Cub that I didn't have in my collection.


I was missing this one, from 2001 Archives.  In that set Topps included the first and last cards of the players in the set.  The 1973 is Pepi's career topper.

It was puzzling to me that I didn't have the card.  Archives is one of the sets that I collect.  But it turns out that my Archives sets start with the cards from 2012.  I never bought the cards from the first incarnation of Archives in 2001 and 2002.

After mulling it over, I believe my reasoning for skipping the early Archives was that the cards in those two sets are all reprints.  I already have the original cards in my collection, so why bother with reprints.

But after seeing the Pepitone card, I changed my mind.  So this one card has led me to getting 34 more cards, the 24 Cubs in Archives 2001 and 10 more from 2002.

Pepitones card is from the 2001 set, so today I'll show all 24 of the Cubs cards.  Remember, most of the cards in the set are a players first and last Topps cards.  Very few players have their first and last as a Cub.  It's just Ernie Banks, Ken Holtzman, and Ryne Sandberg.  And Holtzman should be an asterisk since he had two different stints with the Cubs.

You also see other cards, League Leader cards and some of the special subset cards.

 




 

 

 


 

 





 

 

1 comment: