Monday, May 8, 2023

2023 Bowman Cubs

 The Bowman set for 2023 was released on April 26.  The set was its usual mix of 100 base cards of rookies and veterans along with another set of 150 prospects. 

Personally, I've never been a big fan of Bowman.  The main set is too small for me, at just 100 cards.  And the prospects, well, I just don't get they hype over a set of players that is mostly made up of guys who will never make it to the big leagues. But I have all the Cubs Bowman cards from the 1950s and I couldn't just stop with those.  So each year I soldier on, picking up the Cubs Bowman cards.

There are three Cubs cards in the 100 player base set.  That is about the correct number, if you divide 100 cards among 30 teams.  The choice of players was a bit puzzling, though.

Of course they included Seiya Suzuki. His cards were going crazy last year and Topps always seems to ride a wave and then some.

 

These are the other two, both rookies, and both players that didn't even make the team coming out of spring training.  Morel is one of the Cubs Topps poster-boy rookies and I expect to see him in lots of stuff this year.  I wonder if I'll see him at Wrigley Field, though, as he has spent the season thus far in AAA.

Velazquez was recalled twice and has stuck with the team after the second call-up.  He's done a fairly decent job.

Why did Topps go with two rookies and exclude some of the name Cubs veterans, guys like Stroman, Happ, Hoerner, and Wisdom?

No comments:

Post a Comment