Monday, October 16, 2023

2023 Allen and Ginter - The Relic Cards

 I have collected all of the Cubs Ginter relic cards since the start.  I did so initially because the framed mini relics looks really nice.  Several years ago Topps added full-sized relics and cut back on the number of framed minis.  That was a bad decision in my opinion.  But by the time they did that I was too far into the Ginter relics to stop, so I have picked up all of both the framed and full sized relics.

The full sized relics have two different designs.  The Cubs have one card with the A design and four in B.

Christopher Morel is the lone A.

 

 

In B we have Ian Happ, Eric Hosmer, Trey Mancini, and Dansby Swanson.  Oddly, Happ and Hosmer have relic cards but are not in the regular base set.  How can they be relic-worthy and not have a card??  And Hosmer and Mancini are not with the Cubs any more, Hosmer released in May and Mancini in August.

The framed relics have two Cubs, both retired.

 

It's nice to see Maddux shown as a Cub.  He has two base cards along with the relic, all as a Cub.  And you don't often see the relic card for a pitcher use a bat.

4 comments:

  1. I've found that the new A&G relics are going for pretty low prices on eBay. I've picked up 4 of the Mets relics--Díaz, Nimmo, McNeil, and David Wright--for a little over $2/shipped each. Two of them just in the last half hour! Obviously don't have them in hand yet, but they look pretty nice in scans and I'm always happy to pick up star Mets relics at that price.

    It is indeed nice to see Maddux as a Cub. I must say, though, that I don't like having two different base cards of the same player when there are so many others to choose from. And if they're going to, why not show two different teams?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been a fan of the mini framed relics. Glad to see they continue to produce these. The large relics are fine by me, but I do not care for design B this year. The Morel card looks pretty nice though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just went shopping and found three different materials for the Morel relic. Blue jersey, grey jersey and bat... Is that pretty typical of Topps?

      Delete
    2. That's pretty typical. Back in the day I would have picked up each different type. Now I’m good with just one per player.

      Delete