Friday, April 30, 2010

Does Size Matter?

Well, to Topps in 2005, it did.



I wasn't collecting in 2005, so I missed these when they came out, Topps XXL. But I found this Cubs set on ebay and it set me back a whopping 99 cents.

The 2008 Standard Catalog doesn't list them, so I don't know how many different teams these were made for. I have found only the Cubs, Yankees, and Red Sox on ebay. Anyone know if there were any other team sets made?

The cards are on regular card stock, but are 8" x 10" in size; hence the name XXL.



This is what the regular card looks like on top of the XXL card. These things are huge. You can also see that the XXL cards used the same design as the originals. The backs are identical to the original, also.

The team set consisted of four cards. For the Cubs, it was Derrek Lee, Mark Prior, Nomar Garciaparra, and Greg Maddux. In 2005, that was a pretty impressive collection of talent. Its interesting that in only five seasons, only Derrek Lee is still active. No one expected Maddux to still be pitching in 2010. but who would have thought in 2005 that Prior and Nomar would be done by now?

Here's a look at all four of the Cubs XXL cards







1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is a great find. I never knew those were out there. I have some 1981 Topps Giant Photo Cards, my last blog was on those. I do have some 1997 Donruss Studio football cards that are 8x10 in size.

    ReplyDelete