Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Timing is Everything...

...and mine stinks!

A few weeks ago I wrote about finishing up my Cubs team issued cards sets. I finished all the sets except for one card from one set. It was the Ernie Banks card from the Old Style set issued in 1992.

For three months I've been scouring ebay, Sportlots, and the Beckett Marketplace, and could never find the card.

Then, a couple weeks ago, reader Michael sent me an email of an ebay auction for the entire set of 28 cards, including the elusive Banks card. The seller had mistakes in the listing, so I figured the auction wouldn't get much attention.

The only problem was the price. The set was starting at $14.99. That's not a bad price for the entire set, but I only needed one card, and it is about a $3.00 card. I decided to watch the auction and see that would happen.

I was right about the auction's lack of action. Going into the final day, there were no bids at all. I figured I might as well go for it. I would end up with one complete set and one almost complete set. There was no telling how long I would have to wait for another Banks to become available. I sniped the auction at the end and was the only bidder.



So I got the card and the hole on the page is now filled in.

Now, about my lousy timing. Guess what showed up on ebay not even a week after I won the set. Of course, it was the Ernie Banks card. And this time, it was just the card by itself, at a starting price of $0.99. Exactly what I was looking for comes available as soon as I overpay for the card!

I snagged that card too for 99 cents. In a couple weeks I've gone from one almost compete set to two complete sets of the 1992 Old Style Cubs!

Like I said in the title, timing is everything, and mine stinks!

You may have noticed that I made no mention of the Cubs Opening Day fiasco from yesterday. Since the game was played in Atlanta, and the Masters will be taking place there later this week, maybe the Cubs can ask for a mulligan!

2 comments:

  1. Once you bought the first set, you have to stopping looking on ebay. You're just asking for trouble if you don't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't stop myself! But I'm not looking anymore...I don't need a third set.

    ReplyDelete