Friday, March 30, 2012

Enough of Heritage 2012...

....let's start thinking about Heritage 2013!

I'll bring Heritage week to a close today by taking a sneak peak at next year's product.

For those of you who thought that the 1963 design was boring, well, you're really going to be bored with next years design. I would have to say that the 1964 design is about as unintersting as it gets.



Here is Mr. Cub from 1964. The card design has nothing at all to it. Team name in black, colored band on the bottom, and a picture. The only interesting feature is that most pictures are head shots, and the top of the hat is cropped into the white border at the top. Otherwise, nothing.



Here is my mockup of Starlin Castro's card. With such a bland design, these are very easy to make.

The most unique feature of the 1964 cards is on the back.



Most cards have a trivia question on the bottom, and to see the answer, you have to scratch a coin on the card to reveal it.



It will be very interesting to see it Topps goes all out and reproduces this feature, which is the more expensive way to go, or if they take the cheap way out and just print the answer. As soon as I wrote "take the cheap way out" I think I answered my own question. But I hope I'm wrong.

The 1964 set also included a set of coins as inserts.



Last year's Baseball Bucks and this years stickers are fairly cheap and easy to produce. The coins will be trickier and costlier to make. Think we will see them?



If so, here's one I hope to get.

Finally, there is one card from 1964 which I hope Topps doesn't have to make.



I can handle the Barney / Hubbs symmetry with the no position error card in this year's Heritage. I'd rather not see an "In Memoriam" card for Darwin Barney next year. I hope Barney doesn't have plans to get a pilots license.

3 comments:

  1. I've noticed for the most part with these retro "recreation" sets they don't recreate the coin "scratch off" feature, but they usually add the cartoons. Maybe they will do what was done with my 2001 Topps Archives reprint of Sonny Jurgensen's RC. They showed the cartoon, but made it streaky to simulate the scratch-off effect (there is one on checkoutmycards
    http://www.checkoutmycards.com/Cards/Football/2001/Topps_Archives_Reserve/70/Sonny_Jurgensen_58/1044859 ). Even though as a kid I loved scratching off on cards to see the cartoons I would prefer that they just put a regular cartoon w/out the scratch-off effect. Today I wouldn't dream of "scratching" at a card. That is just me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know about that Jurgensen card. I'll bet that is what Topps will do with Heritage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Disagree about the 1964 design. I love it. Topps has used it to some degree in 1971, 1972, 1977, 1986, 2004, 2005 and 2008.

    ReplyDelete