Friday, December 4, 2015

Billy Frosted Glass

It's not on the PSA master list and it's not even a card, but I bought it anyway.






We have a frosted drinking glass with Billy Williams' picture on the front and some biographical information on the back.  The glass is about 6½" tall and skinnier than a regular glass.  

I remember having a glass like this when I was a kid, but I don't remember if mine was of Billy or another Cub.  

There is nothing on the glass to identify where or when it was available.  Based on the bio, I'd say its late '60s, maybe 1968 or 1969.  I do know that the glass is part of a nine-glass set. The other Cubs included Ernie Banks, Glenn Beckert, Ken Holtzman, Randy Hundley, Fergie Jenkins, Don Kessinger, Phil Regan, and Ron Santo.  That's the core of the Cubs of '69, which is why I'd date these as coming from '68 or '69.

As far as where they came from, if I had to make a guess, I'd say they came from a gas station or grocery store.  Back in the day of full-service 39.9¢ per gallon stations, give-aways were also pretty common if you filled up your tank.

The grocery store Jewel gave away Cubs pictures in 1969.  Maybe another store jumped on the Cubs bandwagon too.

Gas station, grocery store, whatever.  They're on Ebay now and I'm happy to have one.

4 comments:

  1. I still have to add one of those to my Santo collection. I do have one of those white mugs from 1969 that featured the signatures of all the infielders. I think we did get that at Jewel when they came out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the four mugs too, but lost them in a move. Here's a Jewel ad from August 4, 1969 for both the pictures and the mugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finally took a look at your link. Thanks. First thing, I had sorta forgotten about the old oval Jewel logo. Second, It would be cool to find a copy of the paper for the ad to add to my Ron Santo collection.

      Delete
  3. The only Cubs thing I have from when I was a kid is the set of the four mugs from Jewel. I picked up the Banks version of the frosted glass from ebay a few years ago.

    ReplyDelete