Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Found Another Insert for 2004

It was almost a year ago that I finished my complete Topps insert collection.

It was a couple weeks ago that I found out that I wasn't quite finished.

That's one thing I really like about this hobby...there is always something new to learn.  Just when you think you have it all figured out, you find out that you don't.

Browsing the blogs a few weeks ago I came upon a post on the 2004 inserts.  I just breezed through it since I already had all the Cubs inserts from 2004.  Then I stopped in my tracks.

The insert set that froze me was called Presidential Pastime.  Here is card #39, for President #39...


...Ronald Reagan.  The Gipper is wearing a Cubs jacket as he throws out the first pitch at Wrigley Field on September 30, 1988.  A similar card was included in Opening Day in 2011.

I realized that this isn't officially a Cubs card since Reagan didn't actually play for the Cubs.  But he's wearing a Cubs jacket and that is good enough for me.

Once I saw the card, I knew that I needed it.  It was off to Sportlots.  Just about every presidental card was available except for #39.  Rats.   Next was a trip to the Beckett Marketplace.  They had a couple...for $8 to $10 plus shipping.  Yikes.  I'm not sure if it was a short-print or if there were lots of Reagan fans that grabbed the cards in 2004, but it was turning into a much more difficult and expensive hunt.

The quest continued at COMC.  Again, lots of the other presidents but no Reagan.  Finally I hit Ebay and found one at a slightly better price that the Beckett prices.  

I now have the inserts finished....until I find another I missed!

4 comments:

  1. Funny you should post this. I too just discovered a Reagan baseball card that became a part of my collection; I just haven't gotten around to blogging about it yet. Of course, this is the first one with Cubs ties that I've known to exist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to get all the refractor versions. It's tough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved re-reading your well researched 2011 post. Not a fan of R.R. but I still like the cards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reagan passed away in 2004; perhaps lots of Reagan fans snapped up any memorabilia they could find.

    ReplyDelete