Monday, December 28, 2015

I Love the Cubbie Bear

In yesterday's post, I showed this 1968 Fleer Tallboy and mentioned how much I love the Cubbie Bear logo,


It has only been within the past year or so that I discovered that the logo was designed by Otis Shepard, the famous designer that did work for Wrigley gum and the Cubs.

The patch was a fixture on the Cubs uniform from 1962 - 1978.  It is design that I knew as a kid, so for me, it is the only logo.


It started showing up on Topps cards in 1963 and was present on at least a few cards each year.  The last card that shows it was this...


...card of Bill Caudill from 1981, which was three seasons after the Cubs switched to a different style.  

However, my favorite bear made a Topps comeback in 2015


There it is again in all its glory!  The Cubs wore these 1969 throwbacks on July 13, 2014.  They did a nice job of recreating the look of the uniform and the sleeve patch.  It only took 33 years, but we finally get another look from Topps of the classic Cubbie.

By my count, there are 179 different Cubs cards that show the Cubbie bear.  I counted any card whether it showed the entire patch or just a sliver.





5 comments:

  1. As a White Sox fan I thought that logo was cool... I hate the Sox removed their "Sock" patch logo a few years ago

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1981 Donruss Rick Reuschel is missing. Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Cubbie Bear, too. My one Ernie Banks card is the 1969 Topps, primarily chosen because it's got a nice money shot of the Cub.

    ReplyDelete