Thursday, July 8, 2021

1993 Fruit of the Loom Cubs

 Underwear maker Fruit of the Loom partnered with Fleer in 1993, producing a 66 card set.  The cards used the 1993 Fleer design and a Fruit of the Loom logo was added.  The cards came in packs of six cards inserted into specially marked packages.

Four Cubs players were included in the set, though just two Cubs players were included in the set.

What?

Here's what I mean...

 

These two cards are the two actual Cubs, while

 

these two are quasi-Cubs cards.  The left border says Chicago Cubs while the little update triangle in the bottom left mentions their new team.

I tend to go with what the border says and consider them Cubs cards. How do you deal with cards like these?  

5 comments:

  1. If my team is mentioned anywhere on the front -- side, triangle, "now with...", whatever -- or the player is wearing my team's uniform, then it's a card of my team.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I was a Cubs collector... I'd consider the Dawson and Maddux part of my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Same here. I'd consider the Dawson a Cubs card if I were a Cub collector, a Red Sox card if I were a Red Sox collector, and a really cool card I'd like to have no matter what!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fruit of the Loom cards? How did I miss these when I was growing up?

    ReplyDelete