Wednesday, December 21, 2022

Goodies From Reader Chad...An Eclectic Bunch

 Today I have the rest of the cards that were sent to me by Chad.  As you can see from the post's title, it is a pretty eclectic bunch of cards.

 

We get things rolling with a couple of hall of famers.  These cards are from a 1976 set given out by the Indiana Sports Collectors Association.


This one is also from 1976.  The card is part of an eleven card set and there is another Cub included.  I'll have to pick that one up (Frank Chance) and then I have another brand added to my collection.

 

These are O-Pee-Chee checklists from the 1973 and 1974 sets.  Chad noticed that I didn't have them when I wrote about the sets from those two years, so he got these for me.  What a great thing to do!


This is the back of Ken Singleton's 1972 In Action card.  Chad wondered if I included this with my 1972 team set.  I didn't but I should.  After all, we see a Cubs player and the Chicago Tribune.  It has been added to the binder.

 

This is a well-loved card from Goudey's 1933 set.  Chad had no explanation for the missing bottom right corner.  Perhaps we should track down John Mahoney and ask him!


A couple more Hall of Famer were included. Fergie's card is from the 1985 Sports Design set.  

 

Santo's card has the same design as the 1991 MDA set.  But the logo in the top corner was changed to that of his restaurant in Schaumburg.  


Rick Sutcliffe was in the Kay Bee Team Leaders set.  I thought that I had all of the Kay Bee cards, but nope.  I somehow missed this one.


I got a Jose Ceda autograph.  It comes from the 2008 Donruss Threads set.  Donruss lost their license starting in 2006, so that is why it says "Chicago (NL)" at the top and the logos have been removed.  Ceda never pitched for the Cubs.  

This is the newest of all the cards he sent.  It comes from 2019 Topps X Gary V.  That Gary V guy seemed to be all over cards a few years ago.  I haven't heard much about him lately, for which I am thankful.  He struck me as a loud-mouthed windbag.


ACEO put out this card. They are a company that does the odd ball types and some reprints too.  I like that Vedder has a "1" inside the C on his helmet, like was done by the Cubs in the 60's and '70s.


This is the final card, which both Chad and I agree is messed up.  The sheet was put out by the Chicago Tribune.  It has Chicago's greatest team, based on fan voting.  The voting seems to have been rigged, in the great Chicago tradition.  Unfortunately, it must have been rigged by Sox fans, since Ron Santo, is the only Cub to make the team.  I'll keep the Santo card, but I'm not sure what I'll do with the others.  Right now my thought is that they are either Christmas presents or kindling for a fire.

And that's it.  Thanks again to Chad for the great Christmas delivery.

1 comment:

  1. I either never noticed or forgot that the highlights on the back on the 1972 In Action cards used real newspaper names. I wonder whether they had to get permission. The Heritage versions last year just said "Topps News".

    I don't think ACEO is a company, per se, just a generic name for custom cards, standing for "Art Card Editions and Originals".

    ReplyDelete