Monday, December 12, 2022

Scanning Like a Mad Man!

 I joined the Trading Card Database in 2019 and promptly entered all of my cards.  I didn't do much with the site since then, other than using the database to complete some Cubs team sets.

But now that I'm retired I have more time to peruse that site.  I was doing that a couple of weeks ago and came upon this.


It piqued my curiosity, so I clicked on the link and saw that I had over 1,000 cards in my collection that were missing images on the TCDB site.  

I have all of my Cubs cards scanned and stored on my computer and backed up in a couple of other locations.  It's nearly 21,000 scans.  I decided to upload my scans onto the TCDB.  That, however, presented a couple of issues.

First, I have to upload the scans one at a time, for each card individually.  There is no way to do a mass import.  It would take some time to go one by one, but time I've got.

The second issue was a bigger problem.  I have only scans of the front of my cards.  The TCDB needs a scan of both the front and the back.  That means in addition to uploading the fronts, I will also have to both scan and upload the backs.  I fired up the scanner.

It was a tedious process because the images missing from TCDB were mostly a random few from tons of different sets.  I would have to find the cards, take them out of the binder, scan then, return them to the binder, and repeat... about 1000 times.

So that is what I did.  I eventually settled into a rhythm and slowly but surely got the job done.  All of the missing cards were scanned and uploaded.

My OCD is pleased to report that I now have...


.... zero cards in my collection that are missing images!

The plan is to keep it that way, too.  I'll be checking the site when I get new cards to add.  If necessary, I upload any fronts that are missing.  If the back is missing, then I'll scan and upload it too.



5 comments:

  1. Thank you for doing this!! It means a lot to the site. Well done, wow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job! At one point I was caught up, but then my laptop stopped working and I didn't have anything to use with my scanner/printer. Maybe I should try catching up as a New Year's resolution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent! I occasionally upload an image when I have time - never really made it a priority. Thanks to you, I'm down to just four backs to upload! So I will be doing them over Christmas break!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amazing! TCDB really is the key place on the web for visuals of cards, and an invaluable resource thanks to scanners like you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've checked out the unscanned cards in my collection feature, too, and ... yeah, definitely a retirement project.

    ReplyDelete