Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Blog Bat Around - My Various Collecting Projects



Night Owl has initiated another Blog Bat Around and I'm in.  The topic this time is to describe your various card collecting projects.  I've written about most of these over the years, but never in a single post.

Here we go:


Cubs Team Sets  This would be my primary project, Cubs cards.  I'm up to 130 different brands, totalling nearly 15,600 cards.  And with those 130 brands, I've got all the base Cubs cards for all of them.  That is my Cub collecting MO - identify a brand and then get all the cards.  At this point, I've got all the big boys, so my focus has been on getting the smaller brands filled in.

Topps Complete Sets  I have a 50 year run of complete sets, from 1969 to 2018.  I started with 1969 because that was the first year I collected cards.

Wax Pack Collection  This coincides with my run of complete sets.

Player Collection  I have a player collection for five players - Darwin Barney, Ernie Banks, Andre Dawson, Ryne Sandberg, and Billy Williams.  The ones that get the most of my attention are the Barney and Williams collections.

Relics and Autographs  My rule -- if a player has a relic card issued in a year he played for the Cubs and it shows him as a Cub, I have a relic.  Same rule for autographs.  As far as I'm aware, I've got all the players covered that meet the rule.

Allen and Ginter Complete Sets  This set really caught my fancy when I returned to collecting in 2008.  The first Ginter set came out just two years earlier, so I was simple to go back and get the missing sets and then add a new one each year.

First Year Complete Sets  This compliments my Cubs team sets.  I have first year complete sets of 58 of the 130 brands in my Cubs collection.  I was much more into this seven or eight years ago, but have really cooled off. 

I have a few other baseball, but not cards, collections and they are all Cubs-related:
Roster Books / Media Guides - from 1957 to 2017 (with 2018 to come in a few weeks)
Scorecards - from 1948 - 2017 (I'll pick up 2018 once the season begins)
Schedules - from 1961 - 2018

6 comments:

  1. Love how organized your collection is as well as the way you display it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't ever seem to wrap my brain around your relics and autographs rule. I feel like you're explaining it perfectly fine but my brain can't process the sentence correctly for some reason. Are you saying...if a relic or autograph comes out of a Cubs player who is/was playing the year the relic or autograph came out, that you grab it? In other words, an Ernie Banks auto or relic will not be part of your collection because they didn't make those kinds of cards between 1953-1971?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You've basically got it. But I just need one relic for the player. I don't grab every Kris Bryant relic from every year. I just need one Bryant from any year for my collection. And you're correct with Ernie or anyone that played before relics were a thing... they are out. But if I like the guy and there's one available, I get they guy.

      Delete
  3. Fantastic! I can only hope that My Collection will have that type of organization one day. That is long range goal of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any new directions/type of collectible you're contemplating?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not right now. I'm satisfied with the current collections.

      Delete