Monday, March 26, 2018

Gambled and Won!

I took a gamble on the possibility of a rule-following autograph and I won!


This is from the 2018 Donruss set.  Catcher cards are about the only ones that look good without the logos, since they are usually covered up by his gear.  Topps has Bryant, Rizzo, Baez, Lester, etc, and Donruss had Victor Caratini.  But I did learn my lesson last year and am now checking any Panini products checklist  for lesser known Cubs players.

My gamble was that Caratini was make the Cubs roster sometime during the 2018 season.  If that were to happen, then that means this card follows my rule of showing him as a Cub during a season he played for the Cubs.  I was thinking he might be a September call-up or a replacement for an injured catcher.  It was just a $5 gamble, so I wasn't risking my retirement fund or anything like that.

This weekend the Cubs announced that Victor has made the team as the backup catcher.  It was a bit of a surprise as he went into camp in the #3 spot.  But by being placed on the roster, with his first appearance in the 2018 season I can add this card to my list.  He will be the 131st player on the autograph list.

3 comments:

  1. Good gamble. Nice looking card.

    ReplyDelete
  2. At $5, that is an easy gamble. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great call on the logo-less catchers. Can't believe I never thought about that.

    ReplyDelete