Thursday, February 11, 2021

1991 Showcase Baseball

 Showcase Baseball is one of the three new-to-me price guides with cards.

The premier cover has a nice picture of Frank Thomas.  You can see on the cover that the guides were numbers up to 10,000.  I suppose that was a ploy to get more collectors buy the guide as a limited-edition collectible.  The ploy must not have worked because only two editions of Showcase were published.

I couldn't find a copy of the card of the lone Cubs player, Ryne Sandberg (of course!), so I bought the entire magazine.  That gave me eight cards instead of one.


It also means that I needed my scissors.  Notice how the cards are numbered the same as the magazine, in my case with #1667.  They were pretty serious about the limited number with these.

I did some trimming and have...


...another Ryno card for the collection.

3 comments:

  1. Very cool. They got in on the ground floor with the printed serial numbering. I know Donruss did it with their Elite insert that year too... but can't think of any others before them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a sharp looking Ryno! Verrrry nice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a time when th sports card world was going mad, like it is now.

    ReplyDelete