Saturday, February 6, 2021

Allan Kaye's Sports Cards Cubs

 I'm wrapping up the last of the price guide card sets today with a look at Allan Kaye's Sport Cards News and Price Guides.

My first question is "Who is Allan Kaye?"  A Google search gave me just one tidbit on the publishing company.  Allan Kaye Publications, Inc. was incorporated in St. Louis in May of 1991 and dissolved in September, 1993.

His picture was in the May, 1992 issue so at least I know what he looks like.  I'd assume he was a collector from the St. Louis area, which is where the magazine's office was located.  Does anyone know more about Allan Kaye?

The premier issue came out in October of 1991 and it included cards right off the bat.  Typically, each issue contained 18 cards.  The cards were printed on card stock pages that were inside the magazine.  That means that you had to cut the cards out.  That wasn't always an easy task.

Ryno was included in the first issue. The card design is pretty plain, but I like the picture.

Issue #2 was dated December 1991 / January 1992.  After that the next magazine came out monthly through October, 1992.  That made a total of 11 issues.  

Each of these also contained two pages of nine cards and makes a grand total of 198 cards (11 issues x 18 cards).  Three other Cubs cards were in the set.

 

The blue bordered cards are from 1992 issues.  I also need to point out that the small edge around all of the cards scanned black but is actually gold foil.

The magazine stopped printing after the October, 1992, issue.  I find it interesting that several of these guides got off to a decent start and then just stopped.  Beckett Price Guide was the only survivor and it didn't include cards.  I guess collectors were more interested in accurate information, not a few more cards.

There are also a few oddball cards from Kaye's that I'm working on getting.  They'll get a separate post once I have them.

2 comments:

  1. I want to say he wrote for Baseball Card Magazine (or SCD) IN THE 1980s.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tuff Stuff stuck around for over a decade... and they included cards from time to time.

    ReplyDelete