Friday, February 5, 2021

Flick Friday: Calvin Marshall

 

Back for a one-and-done, Flick Friday presents "Calvin Marshall"  Was I right when I said that you'd probably never heard of it?  You can take a look at the trailer (and look carefully for player #22).


It's not a very good movie.  It's full of cliche, the acting isn't all that great, and the baseball isn't totally believable.

The movie was filled in 2007 in Ashland, Oregon.  It was a low budget movie, so there aren't any big Hollywood stars.  But...

Filming in Oregon, in 2007 meant they needed local ballplayers to serve as extras.  There is a player I collect who is from Oregon and played ball at Oregon State.  And he was in the movie.



Yep, Darwin Barney was in "Calvin Marshall."  How can I call myself a Darwin Barney collector and not know this?? Shame on me!

At the time of filming, Barney had just finished up his first professional season, playing with the Peoria Chiefs.  By the time the movie came out he had worked his way up to AAA Iowa.  He's mentioned in one of the behind the scenes bonus clips:


It was pretty smart of the producers to get a local, professional ballplayer on set.  Darwin tried, but the actor playing Calvin does not seem to be very athletic.

I bought the DVD and I have a goal of some day getting the case signed by Darwin Barney.  That would be the ultimate oddball Barney item.

2 comments:

  1. That would be very cool if you were able to get it signed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck on getting Barney to sign your DVD. That would be a pretty cool collectible.

    ReplyDelete