Wednesday, February 10, 2021

2008 Cubs Game Program Cards??

 I found Cubs cards in the 2000 editions of Cubs Quarterly.  That year was also the final year of Cubs Quarterly.  Future editions were just call the Official Souvenir Program.  Being the curious sort of person I am, I went though eBay listings of the programs to see if any of them contained Cubs cards.

I found mention of cards of the magazine covers for the years 2006 - 2009.  Pictures from the listings show Upper Deck cards in the 2006 and 2007 programs while the 2008 and 2009 sets have Topps cards.

Were the cards in the magazines from a special set made exclusively for the Cubs?  The fronts of the cards shown in the listing pictures appear to be identical to the regular base set.  The backs weren't shown because the cards were attached to the page.  

The TCDB doesn't list any special Cubs sets from those years.  Then again, the TCDB didn't list the set I found in the 2000 books, so they aren't the definitive source.  The only way to find out is to get my hands on the programs and look for myself.

I was able to find reasonably priced copies of the programs from each of the four years and they are starting to roll into the WW Headquarters.


This is the first one I have in hand, the 2008 edition.  You can see at the bottom the mention of the card inside.


And this is how the card came, attached to a page in the magazine.  It's attached with that rubbery type adhesive, so the card can be removed without damaging either it or the page.

I carefully removed the card and then turned it over.  Was it a special Cubs-only set?


Yes, and no.  It is Cubs-specific, as you can see from the card number, CHC14.  But this isn't specific to the program.  It's the factory team set and a card I already have.  I'm a little glad that I don't have to buy an entire additional set of cards, but a little disappointed that Topps and the Cubs didn't make a unique set for the game program.

That leaves the 2006, 2007, and 2009 for review.  I'll keep you updated as I get them in hand,

No comments:

Post a Comment