Monday, February 8, 2021

Deeper Down the Price Guide Rabbit Hole

 I thought I was wrapping up all of the Cubs cards from price guides with my Allan Kaye's Sport Card post on Saturday.  Instead, I went even deeper down the rabbit hole

I had to purchase the May, 1992, edition of the Kaye's magazine to get the two final Cubs cards I needed.  I couldn't find the cards alone anywhere.  Besides, its nice to be able to page through a 30+ year old guide.

As I was paging through, this ad caught my attention.  Doris has a full page ad for various editions of price guides.  Though prominently featured in the ad, Kaye's competitors are also shown, which I thought was unusual.

All the ones pictured in the ad are guides I've already written about - Kaye's, Cartwrights, Legends, and Investor's Journal.

But this blurb in the upper right of the ad is what sent me further down the guide rabbit hole.  She lists several guides and a few of them are ones I hadn't seen before.  Do they have cards, and specifically, Cubs cards too?

Sports Educational put out sport-specific editions and this is their one baseball version.  It has 18 cards including one Cub, Ryne Sandberg.


Showcase Baseball put out two edition in 1991, November and December.  Each magazine has eight cards and one of them was a Cub.  Of course it was Ryne Sandberg.

The search for Showcase Baseball led me to another guide from 1993.

This is the only edition of Showcase Gallery that I could find.  It had a sheet of nine cards with one Cub among the nine --- Ryne Sandberg!

My trip led me to three more Sandberg cards, which I was able to get and will show them to you soon.

3 comments:

  1. I have one Showcase card I found at a card show, probably in a dime box. It's a Tom Glavine, numbered 2942/10,000 (so exclusive!) and while it spells his name correctly on the back, on the front it says "Mr. Glavin".

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have quite a magazines from this era with Sandberg cards still in them. I'm curious to see what you have. Bring 'em on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Never seen these three magazines before. Very cool. It'd be cool to see a bunch of card magazine pop up now that the hobby is gaining in popularity again.

    ReplyDelete