Thursday, February 4, 2021

Flick Friday to Make a One-Time Return

In January, 2011 I started a feature I called "Flick Friday."  Each Friday during late January and throughout  February, I watched a baseball movie and then posted a review.  The idea was that watching a baseball movie would get my mind off of the cold winter weather.  By the time I wrapped up the feature, spring training was underway and I was able to see some real baseball.


I continued the feature through 2014.  Over those four years I wrote about Bull Durham, Rookie of the Year, Pride of the Yankees, The Natural, Bang the Drum Slowly, The Bad News Bears, A League of Their Own, Eight Men Out, Field of Dreams, Little Big League, Major League, Mr. Baseball, *61, Moneyball, Mr. 3000, The Rookie, Chasing 3000, Cobb,.42, Major League II, Trouble With the Curve, Fear Strikes Out, The Sandlot, and Diminished Capacity.

I stopped doing Flick Friday because I'd run out of decent baseball movies to review.  I asked for suggestion in 2018 and added four more, Fever Pitch Bingo Long, Long Gone, and It Happens Every Spring.

I recently discovered a baseball movie that came out in 2009 that I had never heard of. You most likely have never heard of it either.  It was an independent movie and had a very limited release.  I couldn't find any box office data.

Shame on me for not noticing because you'll never guess who had a role in the movie. And I really mean shame on me.

Come back tomorrow to find out about the movie and one of the actors.

4 comments:

  1. The Final Season is about the Norway, IA State Championship team that won the state title in their final season is a pretty good independent movie. It has Sean Astin and James Gammon who played Lou Brown in the movie, Major League.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy you gotta find one more movie...that tile will look incomplete!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're looking for another baseball movie, American Pastime is also out there. It shows how some of the Japanese people that were placed in internment camps used baseball as a distraction.

    I wrote a short review here:

    https://sanjosefuji.blogspot.com/2017/12/wwii-heritage-and-baseball.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trouble with the Curve? The Natural?

    ReplyDelete