Sunday, March 27, 2022

Five Random Cubs Cards

 I've got 20,163 Cubs cards from 301 different brands listed on a spreadsheet. A random number generator picked five cards, one each from the past several decades.


1900s - 1970s: 1952 Bowman #175 Ransom Jackson The 1952 Bowman set is the set of legible signatures.  I don't think Topps could make a set like this today, with just a picture and an autograph on the front.


1980s: 1987 Donruss Highlights #28 Andre Dawson Dawson tied first year Cubs homer mark with a blast off of current Cubs broadcaster Jim Deshaies.  He set the record with another blast off of a reliever later in the same game.  


1990s: 1990 Topps TV #6 Phil Roof The TV set has cards for everyone including the obscure coaches.  This is the one and only individual card of Roof with the Cubs.


2000s: 2001 Bowman's Best #173 Hee Seop Choi  I wonder how many collectors snapped these up because of the rookie card designation?  It's an 18¢ card today.


2010s: 2013 Team Issued Season Ticket  #54 Darwin Barney  You would think that the RNG would pull more cards of Darwin Barney since I have so many of his cards in my collection.  But nope, this is the first time in 15 months that Barney has been among the five random Cubs cards.

1 comment:

  1. -Cool 52 Bowman card....I now realize that I need to get the '87 Highlights Donruss set...think I got tired of '87 Donruss trying to complete the set via wax boxes and totally ignored the highlights set

    ReplyDelete