Tuesday, March 15, 2022

O-Pee-Chee Problems

 I was aware that there were some problems with the O-Pee-Chee cards.



The jagged edges had been an issue for years.  You would have thought they'd try to fix it.  Maybe check with Topps to see how they cut the cards.  But the problem continued for years.




Centering was also an issue, though Topps had its share of problems here, too.

But I also encounter a problem with almost every OPC card since I've started getting them over the past few weeks.

Almost every card was curled.  This stack is the 1992 team set just after I took it out of the envelope.  The curled cards made scanning a problem because curled cards scan a bit distorted.  I had to put a weight on the cards so that they would lie flat.

Has anyone else run into this issue with OPC cards?  And what would cause the curling?  

4 comments:

  1. I opened boxes of 1984 and 1985 OPC baseball years ago, but never really noticed the curl. Then again, that amount of curl doesn't compare to some of the curls I've encountered with 70's Kellogg's. And then there's some of the modern Topps and Bowman Chrome curling issues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't noticed any curling issues with OPC. Even those I opened in 1986 and stored in 800 count boxes are still nice and flat. Now 1991 Topps and the 1970's Kellogg issues - most definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Curling is one of Canada's favourite sports.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those aren't really problems so much as normal for the brand. Many of the cards pre uv coating will curl if left to themselves.

    Putting them in the boxes with other cards will remove it eventually.

    ReplyDelete