Sunday, March 13, 2016

Five Random Cubs Cards

I've got 14,077 Cubs cards from 108 different brands listed on a spreadsheet. A random number generator picked five cards, one each from the past several decades.




1900s - 1970s: 1979 Galasso Glossy Greats #72 Kiki Cuyler  I bought my second complete Topps set in 1979 from Renata Galasso.  Their black and white set of cards was thrown in as a bonus.  I thought they looks like junk and threw them away.  Thirty years later I bought a Cubs set.




1980s: 1988 Fleer #415 Andre Dawson What a nice shot of the Hawk heading to first base.


1990s: 1992 Stadium Club #858 Hector Villanueva  Hector was mainly a catcher but Topps shows him at first base.  Harry Caray had lots of fun trying to correctly Hector's name.


2000s: 2009 Topps #210 Geovany Soto  Catcher #2 from the RNG.  I thought the Cubs had a reliable catcher for years to come after Soto won the Rookie of the Year in 2008.  Years to come was just four years.



2010s: 2011 Topps Update Diamond #16 Wellington Castillo  The third catcher today.  It's diamond beef.  


2 comments:

  1. I miss Beef, but the Montero-Schwarber combo is pretty nice. Having Willson Contreras waiting in the wings isn't a bad deal either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't around for Beef, but heard that Montero alone is a pretty good upgrade. Excited for next year when Contreras will have room to move up.

      Delete