Friday, March 19, 2021

2020 Gallery Cubs

 Here's one that I am really late to the party with.  The 2020 version of Gallery came out in late October.  I was completely unaware of it.  I stumbled upon it in December, ordered the cards in late January, and finally got the final card in late February.

The set consists of 200 cards, with the last 50 being short-printed.  Both current and retired players are included.  Nine different artists were commissioned by Topps to create the cards.  There are ten Cubs cards and they feature the work of six of the nine artists.

Ernie Banks is the only retired Cub in the set.







 

 

The other nine include three rookies and six veterans, and of course, we have a Robel Garcia sighting.

3 comments:

  1. I like the idea of this set -- and there are some good cards -- but I think that overall it doesn't work. The few Cubbos here show the set's . . . I don't know . . . inconsistency? Is that the right word? Javy's card is excellent, but Schwarber looks like he just got picked up for DUI. KB's is unspectacular, at best. I'm not sure if Rizzo's card is a printing error or if the artist needs to see an optometrist. I likely won't buy it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Rizzo is the worst. The Bryant is good but it's the least "painterly" of the bunch. I like the Banks and Contreras the most.

    ReplyDelete