Monday, March 15, 2021

Something Good From Covid

 Finally, something good for me has come out of Covid. 

I have a sealed pack of Topps cards for every year from 1969 forward.  Getting one for 2021 has been a real bugger, though.  There’s none to be found in the local Walmart or Meijer.  But thanks to Covid  I was finally able to find a pack.



Allow me to explain….


  • I’m a school principal and Covid has made this year a real challenge

  • Kids and staff have to wear masks all day, which is not fun

  • We had a fairly mild winter by Michigan standards, and didn’t use many snow days

  • I decided to use a snow day last Friday and give everyone a day free from masks

  • Mrs. WW and I made plans to use the day off and take a long weekend for bike riding.

  • We chose to do some rail-trails in southern Ohio.

  • On Saturday we rode from Springfield to Urbana and back, about 30 miles total.  

  • We walked around town when we got to Urbana and, low and behold, found a card shop, Sideline Sports. We went in.  I had a nice conversation with the owner.

  • The shop had 2021 retail packs!  I grabbed three, one for the wall and two for ripping

  • Without Covid, no bike trip and no 2021 packs.  So thank you Covid, I guess



My wall now has all the packs from 1969 through 2021.


And below you can see how the display has grown over the years.  The top picture is from 2009 and the rest are from 2012 - 2021.




12 comments:

  1. What a great collection. I'd probably succumb to the temptation to open them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. I can fit one more on the bottom and then I'll add another shelf.

      Delete
    2. I was just wondering when you'd need to add another shelf. As usual, looks great!

      Delete
  3. Super sweet collection! Like Dan, I doubt I would have had the fortitude to keep them unopened.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always look forward to the wall of awesomeness / jealousy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great display and really cool.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you planning to ever open them? I’ve kept an unopened pack each year from the first year I started collecting in 1977 and plan to open one a day - and blog about it - on my 50th anniversary of collecting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Are you planning to ever open them? I’ve kept an unopened pack each year from the first year I started collecting in 1977 and plan to open one a day - and blog about it - on my 50th anniversary of collecting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wasn't planning to but your plan is very intriguing.

      Delete